Happy World Internet Day!
29 October 2018
Happy World Internet Day! Yes, that’s right… a day dedicated to the internet.
What did we even do before the internet?! The days of a dial up connection are now long gone and have made way for this incredible tool we call the internet.
To celebrate, I thought I’d gather some internet facts. Have a read:
- Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn are said to have ‘invented’ the internet. They were the developers (in the early 1970s) to have developed the TCP/IP protocol – an online infrastructure still used to this day.
- The word ‘internet’ is a shortened version of the 1974 terms, ‘internetworking’ or ‘inter-system networking’.
- Computer engineer, Ray Tomlinson was the first person to send an email all the way back in 1971. It was just a test message to himself.
- One in six marriages today saw a couple first meet online, awh!
- The four top visited websites in the world are Google, YouTube, Facebook and Baidu while WordPress is the leading Content Management System.
- There are just over 1.9 billion websites on the internet.
- Facebook is the most popular social networking site. It has an estimated 2.23 billion users – that is nearly a third of the world’s population.
- The first-ever webcam was used to watch a pot of coffee… exciting.
- The dot-com crash of the early 2000s saw investors in the excessive amount of online businesses see a near-instant loss of over R70 billion.
- Seventy percent of the 200-plus emails sent every minute across the globe is spam.
I hope you have a great World Internet Day!
Blog Post By Suzannah Clitheroe